↑ Return to Curriculum

Special Educational Needs

Special Educational Needs:

Information Report


How we support children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities

By recognising Jesus Christ in ourselves and others, our school strives to be a living Christian Community which values and nurtures each individual through a sound education and encourages responsible attitudes towards our changing world.


St. Louis Catholic Academy is a primary school and nursery. We admit children from the age of three years to eleven years. Most of our pupils go on to St. Benedict’s Catholic School in Bury St. Edmunds.

 Head teacher                        Mrs Teresa Selvey

Deputy head teacher           Mr Nick Kerin

SENCo                                     Mrs Karen Bryan

SEND Governor                     Mrs Fe Franklin


How we ensure that children who need extra support to ensure progress are identified early?

 A child has a Special Educational Need if he or she has a learning difficulty or disability that means he or she has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools.

 Children are identified as having special educational needs through a variety of ways including the following:-

• Child performing below age expected levels

• Concerns raised by parent

• Concerns raised by class teacher

• Consultations between class teachers and head teacher where progress data is discussed.

• Liaison with external agencies e.g. Speech and Language Therapy Service

• Health diagnosis through a paediatrician

• Liaison with previous school or setting, if applicable


If a concern is raised regarding a child, a range of evidence will be collected through assessment and monitoring, including the following:

• A range of standardised tests

• National Curriculum Tests – Year 2 and Year 6
• Phonic assessments
• Classroom observation
• Early Learning Goals


What should a parent do if they think their child may have special educational needs?

 Talk to us. In the first instance contact your child’s class teacher. The teacher may make the decision to involve the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) for further advice or information or you may contact the SENCo directly yourself by making an appointment through the school Reception office.


Who will explain my child’s needs and progress to me?

The class teacher will meet parents on a regular basis (this could be as part of Parents’ evenings) to discuss your child’s needs, support and progress.

The SENCo will arrange to meet parents as necessary to discuss issues relating specifically to the child’s special educational needs or disability.


How will school support my child?

• The SENCo oversees and monitors the progress of any child requiring additional help    across the school.

• The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with each child with special educational needs or disabilities in their class to ensure that progress in every area is made.

• The class teacher and support staff will use a provision map to record the support your child is receiving and evaluate the success of any interventions.

• Some children are given an Individual Support Plan with specific targets to ensure progress.


How do teachers match the curriculum to an individual child’s needs?

• Class work is pitched at an appropriate level so that all children are able to access it according to their specific needs. Typically this might mean that in a lesson there would be up to three different levels of work set for the class, however on occasions this can be individually differentiated for a specific child.

• The benefit of this type of differentiation is that all children can access a lesson and learn at their level.


Who will support my child?

 • The class teacher will be responsible for ensuring that your child makes progress in every area.

• The SENCo will monitor progress and co-ordinate provision of additional support from external agencies.

• Teaching Assistants work in class to offer additional support to groups and individuals as directed by the class teacher. Some of the teaching assistants in school specialise in a specific area and these staff may work with the class teacher to implement specific interventions to meet children’s needs.

• Learning Support Assistants support individual children to enable them to reach their full potential.


Who are the other people providing services to children with SEN?

St. Louis Catholic Academy has close working relationships with a number of outside agencies, whose specialist knowledge and advice enhance children’s learning and wellbeing. These agencies include:

• Speech and Language Therapy
• Behaviour support service
• Occupational therapy
• Physiotherapy
• Educational psychology
• Advisory teacher
• School nurse
• Outreach  Support – Autistic Spectrum Disorders


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

We ensure that all children with special educational needs are provided for to the best of the school’s ability with the funds available. The budget is allocated on a needs basis to ensure that each child receives the support they require to enable them to make progress.

The head teacher is responsible for allocating funding for supporting children and she consults with the business manager, SENCo and class teachers so that the best use possible is made of the funds available. The school is committed to offering appropriate support to all children and if a child needs additional support we strive to provide this.


How does the school judge whether the support has had an impact?

• If your child has an Individual Support Plan it will be reviewed on a termly basis. Parents will be involved in the review meeting and the setting of new targets. A copy of the Plan will be given to the parent.

• Interventions are recorded on the school’s provision map. This enables us to monitor progress made by individuals and produce reports of outcomes and to provide evidence if referrals for support from external agencies becomes necessary.

• All class teachers in each phase meet the head teacher once a term to discuss progress and to identify children who are not making the expected progress so that strategies to address this can be implemented.

• The school keeps a register of all children who require additional support at any level. If a child makes good progress and meets the targets that have been set for them, they may be removed from the register. Monitoring of progress takes place for all children and this will still occur on an ongoing basis to ensure continued progress.


How do you measure my child’s progress?

• As a school we measure children’s progress in learning against national age related expectations.

• The class teacher continually assesses each child and notes areas where they are improving and where further support is needed. We track children’s progress from their admission through to Year 6, using Target Tracker.

• Children who are not making expected progress are identified through the termly Progress Meetings. In this meeting a discussion takes place about those pupils experiencing difficulties and what further support can be given to aid their progress.

• When a child’s Individual Support Plan is reviewed, comments are made against each target to show what progress has been made. If the child has not met the target, the reasons for this will be discussed, then the target may be adapted into smaller steps or a different approach may be tried to ensure the child does make progress.


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including day and residential trips?

We aim for all children to be included on school day trips and residential stays. We will provide the necessary adaptations, having consulted with you, to ensure that this is successful. A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off-site activity to ensure everyone’s health & safety will not be compromised.


How does the school manage the administration of medicines and personal care?

• We have a policy regarding the administration and management of medicines on the school site.

• Parents need to inform the school in writing if medication is recommended by Health Professionals to be taken during the school day.

• The school’s administrative staff administer medicines. If a child requires medication in school, this will be administered by one member of staff and witnessed by a second. A record is kept and signed by both members of staff.

• Staff have regular training regarding conditions and medication affecting individual children so that trained staff can manage medical situations if the need arises.

• If a child requires personal hygiene care this will be managed by a trained and authorised member of staff.


How will we support your child when they leave our school or move into another class?

Before your child moves between classes, their current class teacher will meet with their new class teacher to share information and records. This enables the new class teacher to be best prepared and aware of any adaptations necessary for your child to make transition as smooth as possible. Transition booklets are prepared with the children as required so that they can familiarise themselves with their new environment and staff throughout the summer holiday. A transition visit is arranged at the end of the summer holiday when the child can see their new classroom and meet their teacher.

Prior to transition between our school and secondary schools, the secondary school SENCo will meet with our SENCo and class teachers to discuss your child’s needs and may offer your child a series of transition sessions at their new school.


How school Governors involved and what are their responsibilities?

• The SENCo reports to the Governors to inform them about the progress of children with special educational needs or disabilities; this report does not refer to individual children and confidentiality is maintained at all times.

• One of the Governors, Fe Franklin, is responsible for special educational needs and meets regularly with the SENCo. She shares the responsibility to ensure all governors are informed about SEND matters with the SENCo.


How is St. Louis Catholic Academy accessible to children with SEN?

The new building in our school is fully accessible for children with physical needs, as there are ramps throughout and a lift to the first floor for easy access as well as accessible toilets.  The organisation of classes within the old building would be reviewed to facilitate access for children with physical needs, as necessary. All staff have access to SMART Boards and visual timetables are available. In addition, specialist equipment or resources can be adapted or ordered for individual children as and when they are deemed necessary.


Where else can I find support information as a parent of a child with SEN?

You can read our school polices on relevant issues and find out more information from our

website: www.stlouisacademy.co.uk/

  • • Behaviour policy
  • • Complaints procedure
  • • Equal opportunities
  • • Safeguarding policy
  • • SEND policy


You can also find information on Suffolk’s Local Offer, which details the services available across the county, from the following website: http://infolink.suffolk.gov.uk/kb5/suffolk/infolink/localoffer.page

The government’s Department for Education has produced a guide to the new SEND Code of Practice (July 2014) for parents:



(October 2014)